Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Learning Through Suffering



This is a picture of one of my boy's t-shirt. It is a visual reminder of what and who I want to be - "The Real Deal." Jesus was the "real deal." As I let His life transform my life, then I move closer to that reality. I want a lifetime of this truth, not just a "season." I want my walk with Christ TODAY to be strong, vibrant, real, and growing. I don't want to have to look back and remember "the good ole days" of when I was close to God.  

Hebrews says that Jesus learned "trusting-obedience" through His suffering. 
Hebrews 5:7-10 (The Message)

7-10 While he lived on earth, anticipating death, Jesus cried out in pain and wept in sorrow as he offered up priestly prayers to God. Because he honored God, God answered him. Though he was God’s Son, he learned trusting-obedience by what he suffered, just as we do. Then, having arrived at the full stature of his maturity and having been announced by God as high priest in the order of Melchizedek, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who believingly obey him.

That's really quite amazing actually and is a biblical truth that we can all apply. No one likes to suffer, but it can produce a faith and maturity in us that nothing else can. Jesus' suffering was different than mine, since His was absent of sin. My suffering was by my own choices of sin and betrayal - BUT - I have learned trusting-obedience for sure. My faith and trust in Christ is still not fully where I want it to be, but I am much further along than I was two years ago.

As I think about surrender and "throwing in the towel," a visual comes to mind. The movie Rocky. Apollo Creed was fighting the Russian and getting beat badly. Rocky was faced with a tough decision - throw in the towel calling off the fight or do as Apollo said and let it continue. Rocky chose to not throw in the towel and Apollo died. Pride got him killed. It isn't much different in our lives either.


When you fall flat on your face as I did, there is no room for pride. I had to "throw in the towel" and surrender. I wasn't surrendering to an enemy, though. I was surrendering to a loving, High Priest who knew what I was going through and fully understood, AND had mercy on me. My sin was AWFUL and caused me great suffering, but Jesus was ready and willing to bring me out of it and into new life in Him. As Corinthians says, that's "foolishness to those who are perishing."

No comments:

Post a Comment